What is low level light therapy?
The healing ability of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) was first discovered in the 1960s by NASA to accelerate wound healing in space1. Since then, continued research efforts have discovered a multitude of medical uses for LLLT. LLLT is currently used for:
- Wound healing
- Nerve regeneration
- Joint pain relief
- Stroke recovery
- Promotion of hair regrowth
The low incidence of adverse events associated with LLIT has made this treatment increasingly popular in a variety of clinical settings2.
What is the science behind low-level laser therapy?
Low-level laser therapy safely exposes cells or tissues to low levels of red, or near-infrared, laser light. LLLT uses light energies with much lower densities than those required for high power lasers used for ablation and cutting. LLLT is sometimes referred to as “cold laser” therapy due to the use of non-thermal lasers. Low-level laser therapy has been observed to have a wide range of effects at the molecular, cellular, and tissular levels3.
How does low-level laser therapy regrow hair?
The ability of LLLT to regenerate hair growth was accidentally discovered in mice during the 1960’s. While studying the potential carcinogenic effects of low power laser, it was concluded that the laser didn’t cause cancer. Rather, it improved hair growth. In 2007, the FDA approved the first LLLT device as a safe treatment for male and female hair loss. Hair follicle growth undergoes a cyclical three-step process:
- Anagen: The growth stage
- Catagen: The transitional stage
- Telogen: The resting stage
LLLT is believed to promote hair growth by affecting all three hair follicle cycles, resulting in thicker, stronger, fuller hair!
Look Natural Hair Restoration offers patients Capillus the 272 Pro Mobile Laser Therapy Cap which promotes hair regrowth and prevents hair loss. Capillus is the industry’s first FDA- cleared laser therapy cap for hair regrowth. The cap is a premium device available through haircare professionals.
Why the 272Pro?
- Safe & Effective
- Use at Home or Anywhere Else
- Comfortable & Easy to wear
- Use it for only 30 minutes every other day
Look Natural Hair Restoration also offers patients laser therapy in our office with the Capillus272 Office Pro.
- Zarei M, Wikramanayake T, Falto-Aizpurua L, Schachner L, Jimenez J. Low level laser therapy and hair regrowth: an evidence-based review. Lasers In Medical Science. February 2016;31(2):363-371.
- Avci P, Gupta G, Clark J, Wikonkal N, Hamblin M. Low-Level Laser (Light) Therapy (LLLT) for Treatment of Hair Loss. Lasers In Surgery And Medicine.2014; 46(2):144-151.
- Chung H, Dai T, Sharma S, Huang Y, Carroll J, Hamblin M. The Nuts and Bolts of Low-level Laser (Light) Therapy. Annals Of Biomedical Engineering. February 2012.;40(2):516-533.